Monday, August 25, 2008

Basketball Jones

One thing I really like about Botevgrad is that people here love basketball. Throughout most of Bularia (and the rest of the world) basketball takes a back seat to soccer, and often other sports. But for some reason our town is different. The B-Ball players get far more attention than the soccer team, and there are several outdoor courts to play on.

So in the evenings I've been going and playing. There's usually a gathering at about 7pm, which is perfect for august because it's way to hot to play during the day. It's been a good way for me to meet people, especially younger guys. Most of the guys I play with are quite nice and don't really fit they chalga-loving-ultra-egotistical stereotype of bulgarian youth.

However, the guys here play a bit differently. First off, they don't play nearly as physical as we do in the states. And because I always played power forward, I'm used to posting up a lot, this is something that is also rarely done. I think this probably comes from people more or less teaching themselves how to play, rather than getting training from coaches. These things are not so bad.

The only thing that really bugs me about the games here is that they are ALWAYS half court, not matter how many people are playing, and they don't use the rule of having to clear the ball (past the key) after getting a steal or defensive rebound. So the person on offense can work their ass off to get open, get the ball, and get into position to take a shot, but if they happen to miss the guy who has been playing lazy defense and just standing under the basket gets an easy layup without having to do anything. And then they play make-it-take-it, so not only do they get an easy bucket, but they get the ball again too. At first I thought this would be something I would just get used to, but every time I play it bothers me more and more.

I have often felt like trying to tell them that they are playing all wrong, but I think it might be a bit early for that. I'll wait for the perfect moment, right after I knock down the game winning fade-away-three-pointer (nothing but net of course) and say in perfect bulgarian "Now let me show you how we do it in the land of the free."

Until then I'll just keep posting up and wait for someone to figure out what the hell I'm doing.

1 comment:

Chris Hatfield said...

This reminds me of the Irish fellows I had the pleasure to make the acquaintance of at my job this summer. These guys were amazing at football (soccer) but what was even better was when we'd play 3 vs. 2 basketball, with the Irish on one team and myself and a fellow American on the other. I felt like Dr. J every time, making no-look passes, alley-oops, give-and-gos, you name it. I say this because it proves that while I suck at basketball, I do not suck nearly as bad as the Irish.