Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pool Harvest

One main difference I have noticed between America and Bulgaria is entitlement. Today Liz and decided to go to our town's pool, we get our swim gear on, buy some lunch, and head out to the edge of town. When we arrive there is a sign that says "On Tuesday Pool No Work." Resigned to a day without swimming headed home.

The pool looked perfectly fine, there was a guy working there and yet still there seemed to be no need to give a reason for "Pool No Work." A sign like that in the states would say something like "We apologize for the inconvenience but due to _______ the pool will be closed until ______. It will reopen tomorrow at _____. And as an American I felt entitled to be given a reason. Bulgarians don't seem to have quite that same sense. Rather than entitlement, the overall feeling seems to be more resignation.

...

I can't stop listening to Neil Young's Harvest right now. Every time I put it on as background music it ends up taking over and I can't concentrate on anything else. I have learned to not even try to read while listening to it. I just end up staring into space like and idiot... Like just there. I took a good two minute break from typing because I can't get over the chorus in Alabama. In fact I'm just going to stop blogging now.

2 comments:

Seth Morton said...

First, thanks for the invitation. Second, I'm trying to get over some serious culture shock and I think reading your blog and Liz's is really helping me.

Interestingly I wanted to swim in Spring Arbor today. I went online to read the hours and figure out how much, but from what I read the pool is only open to the public on Friday. Now perhaps I just read it wrong and I could've gone swimming, or perhaps I've been feeling a little down since getting back from Germany and I was looking for an excuse not to go. But either way, I hardly think the SAU pool is such an in demand university resource that they have to keep it from the community for 6 days of the week.

sigh, I can't wait to get out of this town.

Chris Hatfield said...

That happens to me no matter what Neil Young record I put on. Even Trans.