Sunday, July 5, 2009

Holidaze

Right now I'm coming down from a metaphorical high that lasted three solid days. Some friends came from out of town for the 4th of July and we had a kick ass time. For more on the weekend, check out the wife's new blog here.

On Saturday night, at about nine Seth and I decided that some cooking was in order. Liz's uncle had recently caught some fish for us on Lake Michigan, and so we made mahi mahi served on risotto with asparagus and topped with a burre blanc.




With it we drank a California Pinot Nior. It was bright and fruit forward with a big aroma of strawberries and raspberries. It was an interesting break for the Pinots I've been having, which have become more often then not, red Bourgogne. In general I find them more subtle and better to have with food.

Speaking of Bourgogne, back during memorial day weekend Seth brough over a great bottle and I made a balsamic roasted tofu-veggie stack complete with (bottom up) red bell pepper, eggplant, marinated tofu, baby bella mushrooms, zuchinni, and swiss chard.

This summer has been treating me very well. It's been incredible having so many friends near by, and ones from out of town that are willing to meet up. It's a huge contrast from last summer when Liz and I were alone in a town of people we could barely communicate with, and had to travel an average of six hours to see newly made friends. When I first came back home I was stunned at just how easy it was to maintain relationships here, and on some level I felt that ease made it less meaningful. But as time goes by I must say I get so much out of my friends here, even if I only have to walk two minutes to see them.

I have been meeting more and more people in Ypsilanti and I have to say, I am falling more in love with this town the longer I stay here. It's the only place I know of that has lots of cool stuff to do and is still affordable to live downtown in. For all the naysayers who think Michigan has nothing to offer, give Ypsi a try.

I've also come back from my reading hiatus and recently finished Under the Banner of Heaven and started Lolita yesterday. I think reading is like exercising. Your brain feels better when it's in shape, it just takes a bit of effort sometimes.

Tonight we are heading to Jackson for dinner with my family and Seth. Mom, Dad, and Aaron just got back from Germany, and Seth is about to go back. I think we are having creamed spinach salmon and probably some Riesling. I just hope I don't get too jealous when they are talking about Mallorca and Frieburg.

No comments: