Wednesday, July 1, 2009

no hmo

Even though I'm a pretty political person I do my best to keep this blog about other things. I mean really, if you want to read about politics on the internet you surely don't need to come here to do it. But I just can't let this rest.

Health care in this Country is abominable. It is unfair, unjust, and dehumanizing. Capitalism at it's worst. It takes a person when they are incredible vulnerable and tries to squeeze ats much money out of them as possible. It looks at sick person as says "Helping you is worth X amount of dollars to us."

My insurance at work kicks in today, which is why I have this on my mind. And without going in to details I have had to make a decision between being covered and being able to pay bills and I have not felt so helpless in a long time. I'm not sure I made the right choice.

But my point is, I should not have to make that choice. No one should. And to those who say they oppose a public insurance plan because they "don't want a Washington bureaucrat in between them and their doctor." I have to say it can't be worse than having an overpaid pharmaceutical and insurance CEO's standing there. If you trust the government to run our military, why don't you trust them to pay for doctors appointments?

I was talking to a friend of mine in Botswana, and after seeing how easily and cheaply people there can get medicine she has also become very passionate about this issue. To her, if Botswana can give their citizens affordable health care, why can't the U.S.A? I can't say I disagree.

I am hopeful for change. I just hope our leaders have the audacity to do.

No comments: